Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Egyptian Prom

Some of you may have missed the emails describing memories of the Junior-Senior prom produced by our class. As a public service, here are some quotes from Barbara Wells-Preston on how she remembers that spectacular event:

"Our junior year was 'Land of the Pharaohs'. Our senior year was bland except that it had as one of the favors a little Buddha. Marjorie Myers still has her ring that was a favor at that prom, too. She wore it to the reunion in '93. "

Clarissa Rogers-Hamilton remembers the ceiling material made out of parachute cloth. "We had sewing machines in the auditorium and all this material draped over the seats." She also remembers painting big pictures from graphs on smaller pictures. "Don't remember what the pictures were but they were Roman."

Referring to participation as Egyptian dancers at the "Land of the Pharaohs"..Barb says: "Kogerman, Bagg, Curran, Monrose, Leedy, Creitz, McClendon and Cipriano and I can attest that those jumps up on the roof were scary. We had to do those backbend jumps where our feet touched the top of our heads. But, it was so much fun leading all of the classmates in cheers and dancing around as our NEHS Band played spirit-rousing songs." (Editor's note: I'm taking this word-for-word from an email...but maybe this is referring to cheerleading? Somebody supply some clarification here.)

Donna Reed says she was one of "those little dancers in the sheer veils."

Barbara Kogerman says she "vaguely recalls that '57 prom. I think my subconscious is protecting me from a clear memory because, for some reason only God knows, I was tapped to be the MC. All I can remember is that I totally blew my 'big moment'--either forgot my lines, or my script, or something. Anyway, for a long time I chalked it up as 'one of my most embarrassing moments.' " Barbara says she does remember the elaborate set and the Egyptian dancers. "It was a magic evening for everyone---except me. I beat a hasty exit--was that when everybody started calling me 'Charlie Brown' ?"

No comments: