Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Memories of North Ward

When I graduated from Northeast High School, there were a few classmates of mine that I had known since the kindergarten-6th grade years at North Ward Elementary (4th St. and 11th Ave.) Back in those "old days" children didn't have to be moved around from school to school, just to fit a quota system.

Here are some of those friends who shared the earliest school days with me: James (Jimmy) Willson, Gloria Rankin ( now deceased), Terry Reichelderfer, Lynwood (Lynn) Swanson (now deceased), William (Billy) Lawrence, Judy Hauser, and Patricia Albrecht. These friends probably didn't know it at the time, but they gave my life some stability because I was an only child in a verrrrry dysfunctional family (a lot of domestic fights), so going to school every day and seeing familiar faces meant a lot to me.

And one of my memories from Mirror Lake Junior High School is going home after school with Doris Delnet, whose parents owned a motel on 4th Street North. I think we took the city bus together to reach her motel-home. For me it was a neat novelty to visit Doris where she lived.

No comments: