Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Night I Met William F. Buckley

Feb. 27: William F. Buckley died today, well known for his books, his TV show ("Firing Line") and his ability to use 5-syllable words all in a row.

I met him one night in the Panama Canal Zone, an experience I won't forget. As an English major, I admired Mr. Buckley's ability to put words together. Buckley was visiting in Panama (the treaty discussions were going on then), and a friend of mine, Doug Schmidt (president of the Pacific Civic Council) invited Buckley to his house for a small get-together.

As I was waiting for the man to arrive (feeling like waiting for a "rock star"), I wondered what the experience would be like. Well, I couldn't have predicted it.

Buckley, a very tall and thin man, strode into Doug's Florida room, tossed his coat jacket on the couch, and the first words out of his mouth were, "Can someone get me a beer?" I decided that this man was a real human being.

I didn't agree with him on his views on the new Panama Canal treaty (he was all for it), but I never forgot what it was like to be in the same room with a down-to-earth celebrity.

No comments: