Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pepper Tree Demon

Tom Fincher, one of our classmates who's a published author, reports he's getting orders for his novel Pepper Tree Demon, a story with its setting in Florida (including landmarks you'll recognize).

Just to give you some "flavor" from the book, here is an excerpt from the prologue, spoken in the voice of the story's narrator:

....The dead relative is all part of the Randolph family history. That's my clan. My name is Graham. It seems that Al Randolph, the man who would someday become my grandfather, was fishing in a Tampa Bay inlet called Coffee Pot Bayou. To his way of thinking, fishing beat working any day.

Don't ask me why a body of water would be named after a coffee pot. It doesn't look like one. At least not one I've ever seen. Maybe somebody threw one in there one time.

You just never know about some things....Anyway, one beautiful sunshiny Florida day, Gramps is fishing from the Snell Isle Bridge which crosses the bayou to Snell Isle, where a lot of rich people live.

Hey! I know this one. It's called Snell Isle after Mr. Snell who developed the place, but back when I was a kid I used to think people were mispronouncing snail. Never said I was a smart kid. Come to think of it nobody else did either. But what I lacked in smarts I made for with lack of ambition.

Tom's storytelling is a fun read. You can order up your own copy for $15 by contacting Tom at thetomcatman@aol.com And if you ask, he just might autograph the book for you.

No comments: