Monday, February 18, 2008

A South Florida Mini-Reunion

Following the tradition of our classmates in the Tampa Bay area and in Colorado, some of us in South Florida are doing our bit to get ready for the 50th anniversary.

Originally, the plan was for Carolyn Gramling McAleese, Sandy Creitz-Logue, and me to meet at Barbara Monrose-Parrish's home in Coconut Creek Feb. 23. However, Carolyn's son who is recovering from surgery in Sarasota needs her assistance, so it will be a three-way.

Carolyn has left strict instructions that the three of us are not to laugh, enjoy ourselves or enjoy any good refreshments. We are to save all that until Carolyn can be with us for the next time. She has threatened that she will be there in spirit and will know if we disobey orders.

However, as an alternative plan, I'm meeting with Carolyn tonight after my Monday night English class that's 5 minutes away from her place. I will take three of my Viking Logs (1955, 1956 and 1958) and we will re-discover people to our hearts' content.

Next Saturday, I will take the same yearbooks with me because Sandra's are stored at her son's place and Barbara doesn't have the 1955 issue (our freshman year, remember?)

If it weren't for the enterprising work of people like Sue Bagg-Foreman and Woody Reed Tanner, I wouldn't even know that these three women live within driving distance of me.

So, on Feb. 23, if you hear in the distance faint peals of laughter, it will be three Viking classmates in a pre-reunion reunion, practicing for the Big Time when we all meet in St. Petersburg in May.

No comments: